Pages

News

Sponors

Location

Thursday, 28 May 2015

Does Jamaica Need Outside Help To Fight Crime




With the quadruple murder in Claremont, St Elizabeth, and the killing of a teacher of the Bustamante High School in Clarendon i personally think that our leaders have lost the battle against crime in Jamaica.

Every four hours somebody is been killed in Jamaica, each year at least 1500 Jamaicans are been killed by criminals and the security force seems to be helpless. Three students from Clarendon was killed execution style while  coming home, a female taxi driver in Tucker St James was shot and killed as she carry out her daily duties.

The Jamaican government have set up several units within the Jamaica Police force to fight crime and all have failed. For the past twenty years all security ministers in Jamaica have failed miserably.



I think it is full time for us as a country to look to oversea for help to fight this crime monster, we have asked the International Monetary Fund to help us to stabilize our economy. Why cant we asked the United States Of America and the European Union to provide Jamaica with expertises to stop this crime monster.

I personally think that what is going on in Jamaica is genocide, over the last ten years more than 15,000 Jamaicans have been murder by criminals. The biggest question on every Jamaican lips is who next will be a victim of crime.

Read More »

Jeffrey Webb And Jack Warner Along With 14 Others indicted as football scandal rocks FIFA


The embattled Confederation of North, Central America and the Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) says it plans to co-operate with authorities to "its fullest capacity", after its president Jeff Webb was among several FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) officials arrested in Zurich and indicted on corruption offences by the United States Department of Justice yesterday.

The 50-year-old Webb, a Caymanian, was among high-level officials gathered in Zurich for tomorrow's FIFA presidential elections, where the long-serving incumbent Sepp Blatter is expected to be re-elected.


In a 47-count indictment implicating nine present and former FIFA officials, along with five corporate executives, the US Department of Justice alleged an elaborate 24-year scheme involving US$150 million in bribes and kickbacks relating to media and broadcast deals for a plethora of football tournaments.
The 14 have been charged with racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering conspiracies, among other offences.

Trinidadian Jack Warner, a former CONCACAF president and powerful FIFA vice-president, has been named among the 14, though he resigned from all football-related activities four years ago.
Warner, having turned himself in to police following a US request for his extradition, appeared in a magistrate's court in Trinidad and Tobago and was released on TT$2.5 million (US$394,457) bail.
Warner, who appeared before Chief Magistrate Marcia Ayers-Caesar, was ordered to surrender all his travel documents and will reappear in court on July 9. He faces 12 charges of racketeering, wire fraud, conspiracy, and money laundering offences in the United States.
Trinidad and Tobago Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, speaking in Parliament yesterday, confirmed that the extradition request for Warner had been made and said "it gives me no pleasure; the member is a member of this honourable House and the matter is now in the hands of law enforcement officials and judicial officials for due process according to the laws of Trinidad and Tobago".
In a brief statement yesterday, CONCACAF said it was "deeply concerned" by the arrests of the officials, including those linked to CONCACAF, but would continue to carry out its operations as usual.

"At present, CONCACAF is not in a position to comment further on the specific allegations, which have been referred to the appropriate legal counsel through the pertinent channels," the statement said.
"CONCACAF continues to operate in the ordinary course of business, hosting all of its upcoming tournaments in a successful and timely manner, including the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup."
The Gold Cup is set to be played from July 7 to 26 in 14 cities across the United States.
Media reports said CONCACAF's Miami Beach headquarters were yesterday searched by FBI agents, hours after Swiss law enforcement authorities swooped down on the Baur au Lac hotel in the early hours, arresting among others, Webb, Costa Rica federation President Eduardo Li and Eugenio Figueredo, a current FIFA vice-president and former resident of the South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL).

The FIFA officials could be extradited to the United States to face charges.
According to the Department of Justice, the corporate executives "agreed to pay well over US$150 million in bribes and kickbacks to obtain lucrative media and marketing rights to international soccer tournaments".

The 47-count indictment alleges the officials were also involved in corruption relating to the bids for hosting World Cup finals, the 2011 FIFA presidential election, along with marketing and broadcast deals.
"The indictment alleges corruption that is rampant, systemic, and deep-rooted both abroad and here in the United States. It spans at least two generations of soccer officials who, as alleged, have abused their positions of trust to acquire millions of dollars in bribes and kickbacks," US Attorney General Loretta Lynch said.

"... And it has profoundly harmed a multitude of victims, from the youth leagues and developing countries that should benefit from the revenue generated by the commercial rights these organisations hold, to the fans at home and throughout the world whose support for the game makes those rights valuable.

"Today's action makes clear that this Department of Justice intends to end any such corrupt practices, to root out misconduct, and to bring wrongdoers to justice and we look forward to continuing to work with other countries in this effort."

US authorities are also investigating World Cup qualifiers held in CONCACAF, the CONCACAF Gold Cup, the CONCACAF Champions League and the CONMEBOL/CONCACAF Copa America Centenario, which is set to be staged in the US next year.
FBI Director James B Comey said the developments had occurred as a result of diligent investigations over the years.

"... As charged in the indictment, the defendants fostered a culture of corruption and greed that created an uneven playing field for the biggest sport in the world," Comey said.
"Undisclosed and illegal payments, kickbacks, and bribes became a way of doing business at FIFA. I want to commend the investigators and prosecutors around the world who have pursued this case so diligently for so many years."
Webb, who took over from Warner following the 2011 cash-for-votes scandal which rocked CONCACAF and FIFA, was set to be formally installed as the confederation president tomorrow following his re-election unopposed last month.

It is set to be his first full term after completing the one unfinished by Warner.
He has become highly visible in world football, installed as a FIFA vice-president in 2012 and also appointed to chair FIFA's Task Force against Racism and Discrimination.
In addition to the US investigations, international media reports indicate that the Swiss prosecutors have launched a criminal case into the bids for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, to be held in Russia and Qatar, respectively.
Read More »

Tuesday, 19 May 2015

New Mosquito Borne Virus ZIKV Threatens Jamaica,

The Health Ministry is urging Jamaicans to take all the necessary steps to rid their surroundings of mosquito breeding sites as it prepares to ward off the threat of another mosquito-borne virus.
The health ministry said the outbreak in Brazil of the Zika virus poses a potential threat to Jamaica.
Brazil confirmed its first case of the Zika virus or ZIKV earlier this month.
Permanent Secretary in the health ministry, Dr Kevin Harvey, says the ministry is taking the threat very seriously as the virus is spread by the Aedes aegypti mosquito which also carries the dengue and Chikungunya viruses.
He says there is no specific vaccine or treatment for the virus.
The Zika virus is from the same family as the dengue and chikungunya viruses and share similar symptoms which include fever, joint and muscle pain, conjunctivitis, headache, weakness, rash and swelling of the lower limbs.
Symptoms usually appear three to 12 days after an infected mosquito bites a person and can last for four to seven days.
The Health Ministry says to date no deaths due to the Zika virus have been recorded worldwide although outbreaks have taken place in 2007, 2013 and this year.
The threat of the new mosquito virus comes less than a year after the Chikungunya virus was declared an epidemic in the Caribbean and governments including Jamaica's were criticized for being ill-prepared.

Read More »

Who Next Will Be A Victim Of Crime In Jamaica ??



The biggest question on every Jamaican lips is who next will be killed, with the high upsurge of crime in Jamaica at least 1500 murder is committed  annually in Jamaica. Every four hour somebody is been killed by the gun in Jamaica the police force seems to be helpless.

What the cause of the violence in Jamaica?? the answer is poverty, because of poverty people turn to crime as a means of survival. The minimum wage in Jamaica is $5,500 Jamaican dollars a week or $45 United Sates Dollar. A family of five lives on $6.50 US dollars a day in Jamaica, education is a way to get you out of poverty but very few Jamaicans can afford to educate there children.

Corruption plays a major factor in crime, most public sector workers in Jamaica are under pay so criminals take advantage of this situations by bribing these workers so they in turn turns a blind eye and left the criminals to run free.



Jamaica as return to the days of Henry Morgan where criminals move around freely, the criminals determine who lives or who dies. They walk in any crowd any time of the day and kill who so ever they want.

I personally think we need international help to fight this crime monster.

Read More »

Friday, 15 May 2015

Manchester Man Kills Girlfriend And Self

Crime Scene Do Not Cross Tape
The police in Manchester are investigating a reported murder suicide in the parish this morning.
It is alleged that a man killed his girlfriend then himself in Melrose Mews, Mandeville.
The police in Manchester are yet to release details of the incident.
We will have more as information becomes available.
Read More »

Buju Banton Signs Deal With US: Gun Charge Dropped, Will Be Release From Prison 2019

 
Buju Banton has reportedly made a deal with United States prosecutors to remove a pending gun charge and free him in less than four years.
A report published today by the Tampa Bay Times says Banton has agreed to stop filing appeals in exchange for prosecutors dropping the pursuit of a gun charge.
Banton, whose real name is Mark Myrie, could have faced an additional five years if convicted.
Instead, he will be deported to Jamaica after his scheduled January 2019 release from prison.
The report quotes U.S. Attorney's Office as saying that U.S. District Judge James S. Moody Jr. approved the settlement earlier this week.
Nearly two years ago, Moody threw out a 2011 conviction on the gun count after finding that a juror had inappropriately researched a legal theory relating to the charge.
Banton also wanted the other verdicts to be thrown out but recently, he lost an appeal, and the matter was returned to Tampa.
Banton is serving a 10-year sentence on drug-related charges after he was arrested at his South Florida home in December 2009 and charged with conspiracy to distribute five or more kilogrammes of cocaine.
His arrest followed a sting operation at a Drug Enforcement Agency-controlled warehouse in Tampa, which also resulted in the arrest of James Mack and Ian Thomas, who were attempting to purchase cocaine from undercover agents.
Read More »

Thursday, 14 May 2015

Harsher And Tougher Penalties For People Who Commit Crimes Against Children


Instructions  has been issued by cabinet for changes to be made to the Child Care and Protection Act ( to deal more harshly with parents whose neglect lead to the abuse, exploitation and death of their children.

Harsher and longer prison sentences are also to be imposed on those who kill children and commit sexual and other violent crimes against them. New guidelines are to be included in the CCPA that will see more responsibility put on parents, and address the issue of neglect. Also, these types of cases are to receive special attention to enable them to move through the court system swiftly.

Maurice Bailey the  Director of legal reform in the Ministry of Justice said that, although some of the proposed provisions seem similar to ones which already exist in the CCPA, the amendments would put more pressure on parents to protect their children. He said the existing clauses of the CCPA that deals with neglect, "lumps it in with a series of other things".
Said Bailey: "The difference this time is that it singles out and highlights that specific responsibility of the parent. This provision seeks to highlight and make it very clear that there are consequences that follow. It is not entirely new; it's an enhancement of what is there."

At the same time, people who murder children or commit sexual and other egregious crimes against them could face twice the amount of prison time that would usually be handed down for certain types of crime. They could also find themselves faced with life in prison.

"If (for example) the maximum penalty for an offence is a term of imprisonment for a period of 10 years or more, the courts will be empowered to impose an additional term of imprisonment not exceeding 10 years, ,that the court would impose were the victim not a child," Bailey told reporters.
He said further that if the customary sentence for an offence is more than 10 years, the court could hand down a judgement of life imprisonment for such a crime committed against a child, depending on the nature of the offence. "It is within the purview of the judge to determine what is the appropriate penalty," Bailey stated.

He explained further that if the maximum sentence for a particular offence is less than 10 years, the court can impose an additional term not exceeding half of that penalty. The provision, which is to be inserted in the Criminal Justice and Administration Act will, therefore, see crimes against a child that are deemed as having "aggravating features" resulting in a substantial increase in the number of years for which a person is sentenced. These types of offences include murder and rape.

Bailey said, however, that enforcement will be heavily dependent on persons in the community reporting cases of child abuse. In order to expand the reporting mechanism, he said, changes will be made to the CCPA to allow persons to directly report cases to the Child Development Agency, the Office of the Children's Advocate, and the police's Centre for the Investigation of Sexual Offences and Child Abuse, instead of being routed through the Office of the Children's Registry. He noted that communities will also have access to more areas where reports can be made.
Read More »